• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

My Elgrand drove perfect today!!!

Very surprised by LPG it hasn't risen much at all over the years, currently its around 80 cents.
Petrol on the other hand is 2.39 per litre but I get it for 2.249 at its current price locally! Its risen quite a lot since 2016 though!
Your going to upset me now with a breakdown! lol

View attachment 94679

Nah, I'm just going to say And that's premium unleaded not super unleaded? :p

How much is an LPG conversion there Rich?

Very surprised by LPG it hasn't risen much at all over the years, currently its around 80 cents.
Petrol on the other hand is 2.39 per litre but I get it for 2.249 at its current price locally! Its risen quite a lot since 2016 though!
Your going to upset me now with a breakdown! lol

View attachment 94679
Many more numbers/graphs etc and I’ll have a bloody breakdown
Simple terms
1,Elgrand costs a fortune in fuel
2,lpg makes it cheaper if you do the miles to warrant it
3, corsa is shite either way ( sorry)

It wouldn't work out for me, realistically, with my mileage, as the break-even and gain point would be much further away.

If you do low miles and don't expect to keep it long then I'd agree/advise it not worth converting. But on the flip side, suppose you're still looking to buy an Elgrand, you're looking at 2 Elgrands that you like both the same, one is petrol only the other has been converted to run on LPG and a proper job of the LPG conversion has been done... Looking forwards one will cost you around twice as much in fuel as the other... Which would you buy? Which would you pay a bit more for? Bearing in mind that that's a fair chance that someone who buys the unconverted one would bring it straight to me and pay £2095 to have it converted to LPG.

£220, which is about as cheap as it can be found up here
That's very expensive! Last time I checked (around 2 months ago) I could get a full 47kg bottle delivered for (iIrc) £70.

There's 92 litres of LPG in a 47kg bottle, so at £110 per bottle they're charging £1.196 per litre (and at £70 it works out £0.76 per litre). You could fill those bottles yourself at a forecourt for 85p per litre.

I think that's what is, a purely person choice based on one's desires and mileage. I'd even add the factor of availability too. If I got an LPG conversion costing £1.5K to £2k for an envisaged 3.5K miles per year, I'd not only have to factor the years it'd take to make a return, but the faff of getting it done by someone close by but reputable, and then having only ONE lpg joint withing 15 miles of me. So I'd probably find any savings would be even further in the long grass, given the amount of out-of-the-way trips i'd have to make to the lone lpg joint. Be even more shocking if that place (a Morrisions) decide to bin the LPG pump space for a few transportation pod electric chargers. Not exactly an unrealistic scenario.

If you do low miles and don't expect to keep it long then I'd agree/advise it not worth converting. But on the flip side, suppose you're still looking to buy an Elgrand, you're looking at 2 Elgrands that you like both the same, one is petrol only the other has been converted to run on LPG and a proper job of the LPG conversion has been done... Looking forwards one will cost you around twice as much in fuel as the other... Which would you buy? Which would you pay a bit more for?
Yes, I thought of that. Best scernario I guess would be to get one with lpg already done (well) on it. And hopefully at a great price. I guess if someone wants a fresh import though, that would rule that out and they;d have to get it done themselves.
Does having an LPG conversion make an Elgrand on the market much more desirable? Or is it one of those things where you think it would, but don't necessarily pan out like that?

Nah, I'm just going to say And that's premium unleaded not super unleaded? :p

How much is an LPG conversion there Rich?

My wife thinks its around 4K!! :sob:
They would not accept a conversion from the UK it has to be fitted in the Country to validate the work!! :rolleyes:
Already asked the importer if I was to get you to convert it to LPG but they said it would not be allowed!!

I think that's what is, a purely person choice based on one's desires and mileage. I'd even add the factor of availability too. If I got an LPG conversion costing £1.5K to £2k for an envisaged 3.5K miles per year, I'd not only have to factor the year it'd take to make a return, but the faff of getting it done by someone close by but reputable, and then having only ONE lpg joint withing 15 miles of me. So I'd probably find any savings would be even further in the ong grass, given the amount of out-of-the-way trips i'd have to make to the lone lpg joint. Be even more shocking if that place (a Morrisions) decide to bin the LPG pump space for a few transportation pod electric chargers. Not exactly an unrealistic scenario.

At only 3.5K per year it probably isn't worth converting for you, or at least not unless you'll be keeping it long term.

Dunno about 'done by someone close by but reputable', I convert more Elgrands from all ends of the UK and more than any other firm. 'Going out of the way to buy LPG' has been mentioned, the best way to not have to go out of the way is to have a big LPG tank fitted, I fit by far the biggest. I personally go less out of my way to buy LPG than an average LPG owner goes out of their way to buy super unleaded, but I have ability to easily fit a quick release extra LPG tank which increases range on LPG to 700 miles, twice as much range on LPG than on (super unleaded) petrol.

If all LPG forecourts closed I'd still be running my cars/Elgrands on LPG, I'd be having it delivered to my door in 47kg bottles for £70 per bottle. If all forecourts that sell petrol close it's unlikely anyone will be having petrol or diesel delivered to their door in bottles or be allowed to store petrol in bulk (500 litre plus usually 1000+ tanks), people are allowed to have bulk LPG tanks at home aka LPG home heating and that will be the case even if/when most people drive an EV and most petrol forecourts have closed.

I think whether an LPG conversion increases the value of a vehicle depends on a number of factors including how good an LPG conversion the potential buyer has been fitted. I'm the most recommended LPG convertor especially for Elgrand LPG conversions. Same question again, if you were looking at 2 identical Elgrands but one would cost half as much to run as the other in terms of fuel costs, which would you buy and would you be prepared to pay a premium for it? If you wouldn't pay a premium it's unlikely you'd be able to buy it because it would be sold to someone else who would pay the higher price.

My wife thinks its around 4K!! :sob:
They would not accept a conversion from the UK it has to be fitted in the Country to validate the work!! :rolleyes:
Already asked the importer if I was to get you to convert it to LPG but they said it would not be allowed!!
That's what I thought (sadly) mate. Same kind of story in France eh @LeStempy ?

Exactly. Has to be fitted by a government approved installer.

It was the same even when we were 'in Europe' and a similar story in NL, so much for a European standard if each government requires different things...! But at least people with an existing LPG conversion (including fitted in the UK) can visit France and run their Elgrand on LPG in France (or in NL or just about anywhere else where LPG is available in Europe). Most of Europe including (maybe especially?) France has a better LPG refuelling network than the UK.

Since purchasing my Ellie she's drove & performed perfectly...👍
Money wise it's sort of evened out nicely, as I can no longer afford to drink, smoke, or knock about will loose woman...🤗

My head hurts, too much maths calculations guys! :joy:
Ive done 78,000km since the end of 2016 in the white `Elgrand and around 26,000km in the silver Elgrand before it died!
Hate to think how much its cost me in super unleaded over the duration!!! :cold_sweat:
I was just about to say my head hurts after reading all the maths, so I think it's time to go to bed and dream that the Elgrand can do 40MPG 🤣

Last edited:
That's very expensive! Last time I checked (around 2 months ago) I could get a full 47kg bottle delivered for (iIrc) £70.

There's 92 litres of LPG in a 47kg bottle, so at £110 per bottle they're charging £1.196 per litre (and at £70 it works out £0.76 per litre). You could fill those bottles yourself at a forecourt for 85p per litre.

Putting things into perspective, I live 3 hours drive from the nearest city, Inverness.

I had to drive an 80 mile round trip to pick up the bottles. The only other store that sells gas has a two week waiting list.

The cheapest place to buy a car is on the Orkney Islands, between a 45 minute or 2.5hr ferry ride, depending on the route and weather.

The nearest available fuel is £1.80/litre, if I don't want to drive 20 miles to get it at £1.61.

The nearest dual carriageway is 144 miles away.

The nearest motorway is 250 miles away ... or 7hrs, depending how you want to measure 😉

At only 3.5K per year it probably isn't worth converting for you, or at least not unless you'll be keeping it long term.

Dunno about 'done by someone close by but reputable', I convert more Elgrands from all ends of the UK and more than any other firm. 'Going out of the way to buy LPG' has been mentioned, the best way to not have to go out of the way is to have a big LPG tank fitted, I fit by far the biggest. I personally go less out of my way to buy LPG than an average LPG owner goes out of their way to buy super unleaded, but I have ability to easily fit a quick release extra LPG tank which increases range on LPG to 700 miles, twice as much range on LPG than on (super unleaded) petrol.

If all LPG forecourts closed I'd still be running my cars/Elgrands on LPG, I'd be having it delivered to my door in 47kg bottles for £70 per bottle. If all forecourts that sell petrol close it's unlikely anyone will be having petrol or diesel delivered to their door in bottles or be allowed to store petrol in bulk (500 litre plus usually 1000+ tanks), people are allowed to have bulk LPG tanks at home aka LPG home heating and that will be the case even if/when most people drive an EV and most petrol forecourts have closed.

I think whether an LPG conversion increases the value of a vehicle depends on a number of factors including how good an LPG conversion the potential buyer has been fitted. I'm the most recommended LPG convertor especially for Elgrand LPG conversions. Same question again, if you were looking at 2 identical Elgrands but one would cost half as much to run as the other in terms of fuel costs, which would you buy and would you be prepared to pay a premium for it? If you wouldn't pay a premium it's unlikely you'd be able to buy it because it would be sold to someone else who would pay the higher price.
Not to be morbid, but I think most of us might be dead before all the petrol stations close. There is not enough charging points for EVs, and many people can't charge at home, especially if they live in a high rise building, it would have to be a long cable. 🤣 So I think we won't see the combustion engine die out any time soon.

Not to be morbid, but I think most of us might be dead before all the petrol stations close. There is not enough charging points for EVs, and many people can't charge at home, especially if they live in a high rise building, it would have to be a long cable. 🤣 So I think we won't see the combustion engine die out any time soon.
Agreed.

Same question again, if you were looking at 2 identical Elgrands but one would cost half as much to run as the other in terms of fuel costs, which would you buy and would you be prepared to pay a premium for it?
An LPG converted car, probably fitted by whom I wouldn't know, would have zero influence in my decision as to which to buy. As it didn't when I was scouting for, and eventually purchased, my Elgrand. It simply wasn't in my (limited) criteria.

An LPG converted car, probably fitted by whom I wouldn't know, would have zero influence in my decision as to which to buy. As it didn't when I was scouting for, and eventually purchased, my Elgrand. It simply wasn't in my (limited) criteria.
I was the same, I have no experience with LPG and didn't want one that had been converted, and still don't. In fact when I was looking to buy, I dismissed any that had been converted.

I am not saying anything against LPG or anyone who runs an Elgrand that has been converted, I am just saying I don't know enough about LPG, and have no interest in changing from Petrol.

The fuel consumption has never bothered me, I knew what it was before I bought mine. I love bigger petrol engines (I have never owned a diesel and never want to) you can cruise along with the engine under no strain, but when you want to go, change down and you are away.

If fuel consumption is a concern, then yes I can see that there are savings to be had. I am lucky that I don't have to worry, but I know this is not the case for everyone.

I was the same, I have no experience with LPG and didn't want one that had been converted, and still don't. In fact when I was looking to buy, I dismissed any that had been converted.

I am not saying anything against LPG or anyone who runs an Elgrand that has been converted, I am just saying I don't know enough about LPG, and have no interest in changing from Petrol.

The fuel consumption has never bothered me, I knew what it was before I bought mine. I love bigger petrol engines (I have never owned a diesel and never want to) you can cruise along with the engine under no strain, but when you want to go, change down and you are away.

If fuel consumption is a concern, then yes I can see that there are savings to be had. I am lucky that I don't have to worry, but I know this is not the case for everyone.
Yes, I'd go with this 100%, for the same reasons.

Back