• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

My Elgrand drove perfect today!!!

Picked up my Elgrand on Saturday and then yesterday drove it from Manchester to Scotland for a few days away.

Absolutely loving it and the only issue has been driver error... Someone in a black E51 with a copper grill (if I remember right, looked mint) let on to us near Dumfries and instead of doing the same... I cleaned my windscreen 🤦
Indeed been there and done that, and the Ellie Wave. (Engage wipers!)

Picked mine up on Saturday also - from Vine Place, Durham. Drove a short way to Seaham for a stroll around there, didn't want to get sand inside immediately so didn't go on the beach. Fancied some fish and chips, so went on to Whitby for a few hours. Back to Lincoln(ish) (AirBnB for the night) Saturday night and then the drive home to Kingston, just outside London. Have driven from here to North London and back a few times (kids, school, etc). So around 800km since Saturday, and I can't find a single fault (other than the hole in the petrol tank they all have, anyway).

Just want to be out and about and driving it or working out the random extra buttons, but I work from home, and actually need to do some work. :joy:

Not just today but for the last 10 days. She's a marvelous machine 💗.

• She's taken the mother in law to her GP, we then went to get an x-ray done at Dryburn (University Hospital of North Durham). The A&E doctor admitted her there and then.
  • Since admission we have been visiting daily.
  • Taken and picked up son as he has a new job and times were bad for buses a couple of times.
  • Done an airport run to pick up sister in law.
  • A trip to Jarrow to fill up with LPG as my normal mileage has roughly doubled.

My Elgrand drove perfect... yesterday!

Our grandson, for reasons we don't quite understand, said he wanted to buy some cheddar cheese from where it's made so we had a day out to Cheddar Gorge. It seemed a bit random but it was as good a excuse for a run in the bus so why not? Well, OK, the cheese we brought home cost around five times the price of cheese in LIDL plus £70 for petrol it was a costly whim but grandson was happy, my wife was happy which meant that I was allowed to be happy so I'll take that.

The Elgrand did, indeed, drive perfectly over a mixture of motorway, A road and B road returning 21.7mpg. The big V6 3.5lt engine is not to make a 2.2 tonne sports car but to make this luxury car so wonderfully drivable; it's always a pleasure to waft past lesser vehicles when they have to slow down to plod up a hill.:grinning:

Cheers,
John

My Elgrand drove perfect... yesterday!

Our grandson, for reasons we don't quite understand, said he wanted to buy some cheddar cheese from where it's made so we had a day out to Cheddar Gorge. It seemed a bit random but it was as good a excuse for a run in the bus so why not? Well, OK, the cheese we brought home cost around five times the price of cheese in LIDL plus £70 for petrol it was a costly whim but grandson was happy, my wife was happy which meant that I was allowed to be happy so I'll take that.

The Elgrand did, indeed, drive perfectly over a mixture of motorway, A road and B road returning 21.7mpg. The big V6 3.5lt engine is not to make a 2.2 tonne sports car but to make this luxury car so wonderfully drivable; it's always a pleasure to waft past lesser vehicles when they have to slow down to plod up a hill.:grinning:

Cheers,
John
let me have his contact details and I’ll tell him that Scottish shortbread is delicious.

My Elgrand drove perfect for 2 weeks.
Drove from the North East to Cornwall in 7 hours with one 20 minute stop(on a Thursday). The drive back took 9 hours (on a Friday) so new lesson learnt there. We have done this trip for the last 10 years but first and fastest time in the Elgrand. We Glamped out the first night in the van(+3 dogs)and the wife said she would do it again if we bin off the inflatable mattress. We stopped at a lodge near Looe for the fortnight and went on trips out around south Cornwall coast every day. Checked the oil before I came back and it hadn't moved. So £450 worth of petrol later (avoid BP motorway stations) I can happily say my Elgrand has passed the hardest test she will have to face with flying colours. They are such a pleasure to drive with luxury thrown in. Roll on next year, the Mrs said she wants to Glamp around in the Elgrand in North Cornwall for a week then a week in the Lodge near Looe, so happy days 😁👍🏼

My black Elgrand has driven perfectly for the last 40000 miles plus that I've driven and owned it.

And during that time I've saved the best part of £10000 in fuel costs by running it on LPG.

I changed it's spark plugs and converted it to LPG as soon as I bought it. I also fitted uprated rear springs because I use it for towing my caravan and boat. The only other maintenance it's needed has been a couple of front CV gaitors (it's a 4x4 model) and of course the usual oil and oil filter changes, oops nearly forgot changing brake pads once (nearly ready for them changing again).

I've done over 3500 miles in it since late August, 700 of those miles towing my large caravan which fully loaded weighs around the same as the Elgrand itself. It's last decent run was on Sunday, we went for a 200+ mile round trip to Whitby and because the Southbound A64 looked jammed on our way North we returned via Sutton Bank to avoid the A64.

Last edited:
My black Elgrand has driven perfectly for the last 40000 miles plus that I've driven and owned it.

And during that time I've saved the best part of £10000 in fuel costs by running it on LPG.
Excuse my maths on this one, how is the calculation worked out?

1) Assume 20mpg (I think lpg returns slightly less mpg?)
2) 20mpg = 20/4.54609 = 4.4 miles per liter (in English, 'I do about four and a half miles for every litre of fuel I use')
3) So 40,000 miles = 40,000/4.4 = 9,090 (In English: 'over 40,000 miles I used a bit over 9,000 litres)
4) Say petrol has 'averaged' £1.60 a litre at the pump over the 40K miles, then £1.60 x 9,090 litres = £15,000
5) Say LPG averaged 80p over the 40K miles, then £0.8 x 9,090 litres = £7,280
6) Which is a difference of £15,000 - £7,280 = £7,700 saving.....but that assumes super unleaded 'normal' petrol gives the same mpg as LPG, but I think LPG don't give as 'good' mpg as super unleaded petrol? If so, and say LPG gave 16mpg, the savings would be 'only' around £6,000 or so?

Good savings anyway, given an LPG conversion costs, what about 1.5 grand?

(the 4.54609 converter used is the conversion factor for (UK) mpg to litres)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bal

2) 20mpg = 20/4.54609 = 4.4 miles per liter (in English, 'I do about four and a half miles for every litre of fuel I use')
3) So 40,000 miles = 40,000/4.4 = 9,090 (In English: 'over 40,000 miles I used a bit over 9,000 litres)
4) Say petrol has 'averaged' £1.60 a litre at the pump over the 40K miles, then £1.60 x 9,090 litres = £15,000
6) Which is a difference of £15,000 - £7,280 = £7,700 saving.....but that assumes super unleaded 'normal' petrol gives the same mpg as LPG, but I think LPG don't give as 'good' mpg as super unleaded petrol? If so, and say LPG gave 16mpg, the savings would be 'only' around £6,000 or so?

I don't keep meticulous records but I do the school run every weekday morning and other short local drives in the morning, regular short drives around town and longer runs at weekends. Around town in stop/start/que driving I might only get 13mpg. I sometimes drive steady on long runs but I'm as likely to be doing 90mph than 60mph. And I tow big stuff with it (caravan at least 1000 miles per year, boat will be more often).

1. I've assumed a general all round average of 17mpg. For sure I can hit mid 20's if conditions dictate or if I try but without trying to be economical on fast roads and including all the local runs etc and towing I expect 17mpg is probably optimistic rather than pessimistic for an all-round general average.
2 & 3 40000 / 17 = 2352.94 gallons, which multiplied by 4.54 to get litres = 10682 litres.
4 & 5 Going on your figures of £1.60 versus 80p, petrol cost of £17091 versus LPG cost of £8545.60 = £8545.40 saved.
6 I did all the maths in my head and probably made a mistake (lol) but even the fag packet maths come to £8545.40. If we also allow for 10% more LPG being used than would-be petrol then it comes to £7690.86 which is close to your '£6k or so'. But I said 'best part of £10000' and technically that's still correct because £5000.01 is the best part of £10000 (if there is a part then the implication is there is another part and best part means the biggest part).

I charge £2095 to convert E51's to LPG and have converted over 700 of them including my own 3 E51's. Just finished another one. Will have finished yet one by Friday.

Tomorrow I have 2 x E51's coming in for LPG conversions to be put right that were fitted elsewhere by another firm.

Last edited:
I've covered 55042 perfect km during my five year ownership and spent 11922€ on super unleaded. So that's 2384€ per year or 6.50€ per day or £5.65 in English at current exchange rates.

I don't keep meticulous records but I do the school run every weekday morning and other short local drives in the morning, regular short drives around town and longer runs at weekends. Around town in stop/start/que driving I might only get 13mpg. I sometimes drive steady on long runs but I'm as likely to be doing 90mph than 60mph. And I tow big stuff with it (caravan at least 1000 miles per year, boat will be more often).

1. I've assumed a general all round average of 17mpg. For sure I can hit mid 20's if conditions dictate or if I try but without trying to be economical on fast roads and including all the local runs etc and towing I expect 17mpg is probably optimistic rather than pessimistic for an all-round general average.
2 & 3 40000 / 17 = 2352.94 gallons, which multiplied by 4.54 to get litres = 10682 litres.
4 & 5 Going on your figures of £1.60 versus 80p, petrol cost of £17091 versus LPG cost of £8545.60 = £8545.40 saved.
6 I did all the maths in my head and probably made a mistake (lol) but even the fag packet maths come to £8545.40. I also said 'best part of £10000' and technically that's still correct because £5000.01 is the best part of £10000 (if there is a part then the implication is there is another part and best part means the biggest part).
Yeah, fair enough. I thought though that LPG don't give as good an mpg as super unleaded? Meaning, if you assume an all-round average of 17mpg exclusively on LPG, if one went exclusively on petrol for the same miles, the petrol all-round mpg would give a higher value....as lpg don't return as good a figure as petrol? Of course you did the 10% difference in your final analysis. Fair enough, but if it was 15-17% it would be a bit more pronounced. (17 to 20mpg being a 17% increase etc)
I thought of that £5000.01 figure myself as being 'the best part' of £10,000 too :)
I did maths in uni and can't help but get excited when I see numbers flying around :D

Last edited:
Yeah, fair enough. I thought though that LPG don't give as good an mpg as super unleaded? Meaning, if you assume an all-round average of 17mpg exclusively on LPG, if one went exclusively on petrol for the same miles, the petrol all-round mpg would give a higher value....as lpg don't return as good a figure as petrol?
I thought of that £5000.01 figure myself as being 'the best part' of £10,000 too :)
I did maths in uni and can't help but get excited when I see numbers flying around :D
Your last post (that I've quoted) crossed with my edit of my last post, in the edit I roughly accounted for a 10% difference in mpg between petrol and LPG which brought my original figure down from £8545 to £7690, which while still not correct because I know the 10% mpg difference doesn't directly affect savings by the same 10%... would still give an answer which was the best part of £10k if we did work it out correctly ;)

If we want to express it really simply in terms anyone will understand - My 3.5 Elgrand costs around the same to run in fuel per mile as my missus' 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa.

Last edited:
Your last post (that I've quoted) crossed with my edit of my last post, in the edit I roughly accounted for a 10% difference in mpg between petrol and LPG which brought my original figure down from £8545 to £7690, which while still not correct because I know the 10% mpg difference doesn't directly affect savings by the same 10%... would still give an answer which was the best part of £10k if we did work it out correctly ;)
Yes, I re-edited mine myself.
Either way, still great savings given it naturally costs you far less to convert your own cars. It wouldn't work out for me, realistically, with my mileage, as the break-even and gain point would be much further away.

6 I did all the maths in my head and probably made a mistake (lol) but even the fag packet maths come to £8545.40. If we also allow for 10% more LPG being used than would-be petrol then it comes to £7690.86 which is close to your '£6k or so'. But I said 'best part of £10000' and technically that's still correct because £5000.01 is the best part of £10000 (if there is a part then the implication is there is another part and best part means the biggest part).

I charge £2095 to convert E51's to LPG and have converted over 700 of them including my own 3 E51's. Just finished another one. Will have finished yet one by Friday.

Tomorrow I have 2 x E51's coming in for LPG conversions to be put right that were fitted elsewhere by another firm.

My head hurts, too much maths calculations guys! :joy:
Ive done 78,000km since the end of 2016 in the white `Elgrand and around 26,000km in the silver Elgrand before it died!
Hate to think how much its cost me in super unleaded over the duration!!! :cold_sweat:

My head hurts, too much maths calculations guys! :joy:
Ive done 78,000km since the end of 2016 in the white `Elgrand and around 26,000km in the silver Elgrand before it died!
Hate to think how much its cost me in super unleaded over the duration!!! :cold_sweat:
How much is petrol per litre and LPG per litre in NL mate?

Thank god for simple terms :innocent:
I was just about to quote @Richard Fox and add that (my quote that you've quoted).. NOT that I think Rich couldn't work it out but we all know that a little Corsa would normally cost a lot less to run than an Elgrand and running the Corsa wouldn't break many people's bank.

Konosuba drove perfectly today!

I took my 3yr old and 5 month old daughters to town to pick up 2 x 47kg propane gas bottles, 4 x 20kg bags of dog food and layers pellets, some grocery shopping and to the playpark.

A round trip of 80 miles.

All fit in the back nicely, with a pushchair. She moves along effortlessly.

The new heavy duty rear springs have made the handling and ride quality an absolute dream! Certainly worth the £120 price tag!

Last edited:
How much is petrol per litre and LPG per litre in NL mate?

Very surprised by LPG it hasn't risen much at all over the years, currently its around 80 cents.
Petrol on the other hand is 2.39 per litre but I get it for 2.249 at its current price locally! Its risen quite a lot since 2016 though!
Your going to upset me now with a breakdown! lol

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 22.45.01.png

Konosuba drove perfectly today!

I took my 3yr old and 5 month old daughters to town to pick up 2 x 47kg propane gas bottles, 4 x 20kg bags of dog food and layers pellets, some grocery shopping and to the playpark.

All fit in the back nicely, with a pushchair.

The new heavy duty rear springs have made the handling and ride quality an absolute dream! Certainly worth the £120 price tag!
Can I ask how much you paid for the 2 x 47kg propane?

Back