• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

My Elgrand drove perfect today!!!

Warning: this is a bit long, so feel free to scroll down to tldr (too long didn't read)

This is the first time I've been able to say that Konosuba drove perfectly!

The work I've done since purchase has certainly paid off, which is nice :)

I embarked on a 892km drive to Falkirk and back, taking in the whole length of the A9 / A99, to pick up 4 adults and their luggage, which included a handy mini fridge 😅

The way down to Falkirk was a decent run, with the sun shining for the majority of the trip, making for a 5 and a half hour journey with one stop ,of half hour, and then some spirited patches to make up for it. ;) So I wasn’t particularly surprised at a 50ltr fill.

There is quite a lot of slow moving traffic, which makes the journey take a bit longer than in the evening.

The drive back, although dark, started well enough to gain some ground while the going was good, which paid off when encountering heavy snow 20 miles south of Aviemore. We were overtaken by a Fiesta, which we later saw buried face first against the near side barrier. Thankfully, the occupants were okay and standing, looking rather dishevelled, next to it.

It was certainly a reminder to be taking it easy, being that I'm riding on summer tyres, albeit superb wet handling rubber. The 4x4 helped a lot, especially as the snow was settling quickly.

Bleak conditions were to continue for the remainder of the journey, in varying degrees of sleet, snow, hail, standing water lakes and rivers, with a good strong wind for the final leg.

I'm standing beside myself in amazement that the return journey only took 6hrs, including two stops, which were around 10mins each.

tldr:
Anyhoo, the point is that, despite whatever was thrown at and demanded of her, she returned a trouble free, incredibly comfortable and relatively speedy 554 mile journey, which, more importantly, was safe.

Last on the list is km/l or mpg ... it's around 28mpg for the whole journey. Not amazing, but hey, we're all alive and well, and given that only 30 miles of the A9 is dual carriageway,, it's not too bad 😅

20231229_165827.jpg

Love this thread!
had mine about a month now, low mileage grade 4 import, mint throughout, and I absolutely love it! I previously had a Mercedes CLK convertible also with a 3.5l V6 but I much prefer my Elgrand now! Drives a treat, feels so good, and also comes with a living room to hang out in! 😊
uIKvfFv.jpg

Today is the first time I started the engine since last Sunday. Since then she's been sitting in a snow drift in sub zero temperature.

She started immediately, I'm sure 2 batteries help.

I only drove to town and back to get 40kg chicken feed, 40kg dog food and 2 x 47kg propane bottles.

I just love to drive this car, there are many smiles to the gallon :)

Last edited:
Another drive up to Upper Heyford in Oxfordshire, today. 100 miles up there via A3, M25 and M40. 90ish miles back on the A34 and A272. Engine was smooth and quiet as a mouse. Suspension upgrade and setup at cruising speed was 👌🏻(though a little harsh at slower speed on shitty roads).

Brake upgrade came in handy a couple of times, too. Once when a P plate driver overtook me, then cut Infront about 2 feet away and let off the throttle. Absolutely oblivious to what she'd done as I blasted past her..... Another was a Polski HGV driver that decided he wasn't coming off at the M4 junction, swerved over the hatchings and forced me to step on the anchors or else he'd have side swiped me.

For a 22 year old motor with 156k km on her, you'd think she was less than half that age. New Oil with some valve lifter treatment seems to have stopped the ticking noise, as well as some STP injector cleaner. Whole trip cost me about 50-60 quid in Shell Premium fuel. A few 80mph bursts but sitting mainly between 55-60 mph.

The girl did good.

I had a few minutes to spare this week… sat in the back and watched Star Wars on DVD for an hour in the supermarket car park. 😎
Do you have a leisure battery fitted? :)

4 years been all over the country only 1issue battery still going strong 😋

Reactions: Bal
Do you have a leisure battery fitted? :)
Nope, left the 3.5 V6 running! 😆
Actually I didn’t for long, I have a voltage readout on my dash and when it flashes 10.5V I run the engine for a while.

Nope, left the 3.5 V6 running! 😆
Actually I didn’t for long, I have a voltage readout on my dash and when it flashes 10.5V I run the engine for a while.
That's sounds like a good idea. Is 10.5v the minimum before an Elgrand won't start

Reactions: Bal
That's sounds like a good idea. Is 10.5v the minimum before an Elgrand won't start
No, it’s where my display starts flashing and worrying me 😃 No idea where the cut off point is for starting up. I’m sure someone else here will tell us 😆

10.5V is a flat battery !!!!!!

nope, you will need at least 12V maybe a touch less but it might turn over slow.
a fully charged battery will be 12,6-12,7volts

All I can say is it starts fine when my indicator says 10.5v. It’s just a cheap cigarette lighter adapter with a display, but when it flashes I start the engine and that seems to work for me.

I'm wondering if it is 10.5 bolts because it is connected to car and there's always drain. If you took the earth off it may well measure higher.

All I can say is it starts fine when my indicator says 10.5v. It’s just a cheap cigarette lighter adapter with a display, but when it flashes I start the engine and that seems to work for me.
its not a true 10.5V. if it was it wouldn't start. try a multimeter on the battery and compare both readings, you'll find the indicator is way off 👍

The CarPlay system and a USB phone charger also go through that lighter, so there is drain there too. It’s not a scientific meter, just a lighter adaptor. I start my motor when it flashes 10.5v. Deal with it 🤣🤣 Once the motor starts it reads 14V.

The CarPlay system and a USB phone charger also go through that lighter, so there is drain there too. It’s not a scientific meter, just a lighter adaptor. I start my motor when it flashes 10.5v. Deal with it 🤣🤣 Once the motor starts it reads 14V.
as long as you know now a true 10.5V at the battery will not start your van.

Whether or not 10.5V will start the engine and whether or not a given battery at 10.5V will start the engine could be 2 different things.

10.5V is enough to start the engine provided voltage doesn't fall much lower. If we connect a voltmeter to a small-ish battery at 12.6V and crank the engine the voltage reading might fall to 10.5V during cranking anyway and still start the engine. This is probably the point at which most people would think 'hmm the engine seems to turn over a bit slow lately when I turn the key to start it so I think its getting ready for a new battery'.

But open (no load) voltage of 10.5V does point to a flat battery and the voltage of most batteries that are at an open 10.5V will fall much lower when cranking the engine. If we had a big (say) submarine 12V battery but flat and at 10.5V it probably would start the engine because it would be big enough and still have the chemical energy and low enough internal resistance to maintain 10.5V even when cranking the engine.

We don't have a big 12V submarine battery, so for intents and purposes a battery at 10.5V is unlikely to start the engine because it is flat, doesn't have the chemical energy and has high internal resistance that will see voltage falls below 10.5V when we try to start the engine. Unless it has a duff cell, in which case 10.5V could point to 5 cells fully charged. If we had 5 cells fully charged and 1 cell completely shorted out it might still start the engine, but then it would never read 12.6v when the alternator wasn't running.

Last edited:
Back