• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

I refer to my wife as the "Pothole finder General" because as sure as shit, she will hit the potholes. Yes, some are unavoidable, but using local knowledge it is possible to avoid the majority, although at times in Caithness this means coming to a stop to let traffic on then other side past so that it can be avoided.

This sort of common sense has to be explained for some reason. Anyhoo, after some considerable work to the car, wife has hit a potholes so big that apparently the steering is jittery and the car pulls to the left.

As an added bonus, there was a tyre blown, which was only fitted last week 🤬

This is what happens when I go away. I'm definitely going to have to buy her a small car for local journeys 🙄

1000034004.jpg

Rest In Peace ... you stuck to the road like shit to a blanket in your short life 🪦

Update:

Mobile tyre fitter on the scene has said the wheel is bent ... so after putting 4 tyres on last week, I have to find another Patrol wheel, or source 4 x 215/65/15 to fit my spare set 😐

oh decisions decisions

I refer to my wife as the "Pothole finder General" because as sure as shit, she will hit the potholes. Yes, some are unavoidable, but using local knowledge it is possible to avoid the majority, although at times in Caithness this means coming to a stop to let traffic on then other side past so that it can be avoided.

This sort of common sense has to be explained for some reason. Anyhoo, after some considerable work to the car, wife has hit a potholes so big that apparently the steering is jittery and the car pulls to the left.

As an added bonus, there was a tyre blown, which was only fitted last week 🤬

This is what happens when I go away. I'm definitely going to have to buy her a small car for local journeys 🙄
Fucking hell! We have the same wife!

Hiya,
No, I sometimes just read around the subject of driving to try to improve my skills.
Reg Local's Advanced and Performance driving I got a few years ago (good, but loads of the first bit of it is full of his amount of his own progress through the driving ranks), and that Roadcraft book, which I find written really dull. Sometimes I watch some youtube vids from R. Local etc
I did watch some of the video you posted, but I didn't have half an hour to spare. The Police use Roadcraft and I thought you might be interested in this video showing a police driver giving a commentary while driving under blues & twos.

Don't buy your wife a small car. It will disappear down a pothole.
I completed the advanced driving thingy in the 60's and had to do that commentary drive stuff. It was difficult but really good. Do you still get a reduction on your insurance if you've done it?

Last edited:
The WTF this week is just piling on in 😂

I ordered a solenoid from Amayama, which was posted on 10am 25th March. It arrived in Scotland 2am 27th March having been tracked through China, India and Germany.

It has taken from 27th March to now and it still hasn't arrived from Dundee, whixh is only 200 miles away ... UPS ... Useless Penis Scum

The WTF this week is just piling on in 😂

I ordered a solenoid from Amayama, which was posted on 10am 25th March. It arrived in Scotland 2am 27th March having been tracked through China, India and Germany.

It has taken from 27th March to now and it still hasn't arrived from Dundee, whixh is only 200 miles away ... UPS ... Useless Penis Scum

The package finally arrived today ... 9 days it took UPS to get it here.

Meanwhile, I ordered from JDM car parts yesterday, and it arrived today via Royal Mail, impressive :)

So I have decided to renew the poptop canvass as it just getting a bit tatty, it's a drivelodge I sent an equiry direct to drivelodge to cost a new canvass (yet to hear back), been asking around the usual capervan builders, to get the canvass replaced. So far have had 3 quotes including VAT, £1720, 1280 and £740 and one quote to replace unit completly £4700 + 700 if matched paint job on roof. WTF is going on!!!

Last edited:
So I have decided to renew the poptop canvass as it just getting a bit tatty, it's a drivelodge I sent an equiry direct to drive odge to cost a new canvass (yet to hear back), been asking around the usual capervan builders, to get the canvass replaced. So far have had 3 quotes including VAT, £1720, 1280 and £740 and one quote to replace unit completly £4700 + 700 if matched paint job on roof. WTF is going on!!!
They are surfing the "van life" craze and cashing in,,,, When Jacasta and Tarquin get tired of glamping and move on to the next fad it will settle down, :D

I did watch some of the video you posted, but I didn't have half an hour to spare. The Police use Roadcraft and I thought you might be interested in this video showing a police driver giving a commentary while driving under blues & twos.

Thanks, that's great. 'Defensive' driving (in terms of assessing potential hazards) on steroids.
I find in my MX-5, for obvious reasons my defensive mind works more. Keeping following distances longer as someone waiting to pull out of a junction might not see you 'hidden' behind the car they can see. They might think they got gap, but not a good day out. Pulling slightly toward road centre when you think someone might pull out, put on headlights sometimes etc etc

One nice Reg Local tip I use all the time, esp on RWD cars (like the Elgrand) is using a touch of throttle on curves/bends/roundabouts to balance the car. It's surprising how exiting bends with some throttle other than 'coasting' like many people do balances RWD cars well, and is similar in feel in the Elgrand, as it is in my MX-5 (also RWD). R. Local said about when do you apply throttle on a corner/bend, saying as soon as you turn the wheel/steering input, to balance the car. I find with the Elgrand on roundabouts, even tight ones, a slight bit of throttle, instead of being all over the place and coasting and braking, makes it smooth. Of course you've got to know/be careful with how much throttle, for obvious reasons.

How many people do you see in front of you approaching a bend, or anything curly which scares them, brake, then you catch them up/they slow down as they go through it, probably as they coasted around it. Enter the bend at the right speed, then apply a slight throttle as you turn/ease the steering around the bend. You go around it at a more constant speed, the car feels more balanced etc etc. Speeds appropriate etc on being able to stop for a hazard, seeing your limit point etc etc

Last edited:
They are surfing the "van life" craze and cashing in,,,, When Jacasta and Tarquin get tired of glamping and move on to the next fad it will settle down, :D
Hopefully so, but there seems no sign of it slowing down.
I can't rip up on folk myself too much, as I primarily got the Elgrand for some overnighters,,,so if the camping 'fad' hadn't occurred, being 'open and honest', it might not have crossed my mind.

Hopefully so, but there seems no sign of it slowing down.
I can't rip up on folk myself too much, as I primarily got the Elgrand for some overnighters,,,so if the camping 'fad' hadn't occurred, being 'open and honest', it might not have crossed my mind.
I've had some great deals in the past from wannabe campers :D 👍 They buy all the kit brand new and sometimes only last one night, I always try before I buy when doing something new. Best buy was a used once, 9 berth Vango tent with table & chairs, gas hob, larder unit, wind breaks etc etc nearly £900 new, got the lot for £150. Used the tent about seven or eight times then sold it for £120, bought exact same tent off another amateur camper for £100 used it several times and sold it on for £110. It's almost free camping.

Same with trailers, I've rebuilt five of them and resold four, a top tip you probably all know regarding tents, trailers and camper vans....
SELL March/April BUY August/September :D

Thanks, that's great. 'Defensive' driving (in terms of assessing potential hazards) on steroids.
I find in my MX-5, for obvious reasons my defensive mind works more. Keeping following distances longer as someone waiting to pull out of a junction might not see you 'hidden' behind the car they can see. They might think they got gap, but not a good day out. Pulling slightly toward road centre when you think someone might pull out, put on headlights sometimes etc etc

One nice Reg Local tip I use all the time, esp on RWD cars (like the Elgrand) is using a touch of throttle on curves/bends/roundabouts to balance the car. It's surprising how exiting bends with some throttle other than 'coasting' like many people do balances RWD cars well, and is similar in feel in the Elgrand, as it is in my MX-5 (also RWD). R. Local said about when do you apply throttle on a corner/bend, saying as soon as you turn the wheel/steering input, to balance the car. I find with the Elgrand on roundabouts, even tight ones, a slight bit of throttle, instead of being all over the place and coasting and braking, makes it smooth. Of course you've got to know/be careful with how much throttle, for obvious reasons.

How many people do you see in front of you approaching a bend, or anything curly which scares them, brake, then you catch them up/they slow down as they go through it, probably as they coasted around it. Enter the bend at the right speed, then apply a slight throttle as you turn/ease the steering around the bend. You go around it at a more constant speed, the car feels more balanced etc etc. Speeds appropriate etc on being able to stop for a hazard, seeing your limit point etc etc
When I collected the Elgrand, three years ago, it was the first RWD car I had driven in a long while. Despite good tread depth, its original tyres gripped like Teflon to PTFE, it must be forty years since I lost the backend on a roundabout and I have never fish-tailed a car, whilst applying moderate throttle inputs, like I did that day. It was the same day I christened my Elgrand the UNDERTAKER.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You're right about the number of people who brake into a bend because they have approached it faster than they feel safe to go round. When it's icy and they brake on entry to the bend they wonder why they end up coming off the road!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You're right about the number of people who brake into a bend because they have approached it faster than they feel safe to go round. When it's icy and they brake on entry to the bend they wonder why they end up coming off the road!
True, brakes and ice are a bad combination, locking the wheels on a slippery turn potentially requires an awful lot of opposite lock, more than once,,,,

True, brakes and ice are a bad combination, locking the wheels on a slippery turn potentially requires an awful lot of opposite lock, more than once,,,,
So true, I remember when I first started driving fighting with the steering wheel the first time the backend of my Cortina broke free. After that I made sure I would not loose the backend again. Over the years I have been on a number of skid pans to keep the skid control fresh, and it's great fun.

Back