• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Remember when......

Mum sending me to the Post Office for a 5p pick n mix bag.

Footy cards with a wafer thin slice of chewing gum on top of the cards, fantastic smell like sweet talcum powder.

Space Dust
Golden nuggets chewing gum
Coconut Tobacco
Caramac
Bullseyes
Locozade in glass bottles wrapped in orange cling film.
Texan Bars
Lucky Bags
Cap darts

All the above could be bought with a huge White £1 note - with change.

Me and mates used to catch the bus from South Elmsall into Doncaster.
From the local (South Elmsall) bus depot in West Yorkshire the bus trip cost 10p. But we walked half a mile to the next bus stop in South Yorkshire so the bus journey would only cost 4p. The difference was West Yorkshire > South Yorkshire versus South Yorkshire to South Yorkshire. and we could buy sweets with the 6p we saved.

I remember there were some fake copies of some of those aftershaves, like supposed Kouros in bottles where the cap fell to bits, didn't quite smell the same and which started to 'go off' with age. I think there's a 30 year old bottle in the garage, it might be OK for washing paint brushes...

Had a mate who swore by Paca Robanne aftershave, thought it made him irresistible to the ladies, nothing at all to do with his ability to lick his own eyebrows.

I remember there were some fake copies of some of those aftershaves, like supposed Kouros in bottles where the cap fell to bits, didn't quite smell the same and which started to 'go off' with age. I think there's a 30 year old bottle in the garage, it might be OK for washing paint brushes...

Had a mate who swore by Paca Robanne aftershave, thought it made him irresistible to the ladies, nothing at all to do with his ability to lick his own eyebrows.
I worked with a lad, Phil. Customers called him "Paca Robanne the photocopier man" :grinning:

When it was normal to sing a song about a the lack of a facist leaders testicle!

4 star leaded petrol

Running was a genuine mode of transport

Oh and remembering what I went in a room for😁

Footy cards with a wafer thin slice of chewing gum on top of the cards, fantastic smell like sweet talcum powder.

Space Dust
Golden nuggets chewing gum
Coconut Tobacco
Caramac
Bullseyes
Locozade in glass bottles wrapped in orange cling film.
Texan Bars
Lucky Bags
Cap darts

All the above could be bought with a huge White £1 note - with change.
Chocolate cigarettes

Blimey, he must have had very long eyebrows!

When it was normal to sing a song about a the lack of a facist leaders testicle!

4 star leaded petrol

Running was a genuine mode of transport

Oh and remembering what I went in a room for😁
5 star leaded petrol

Decimalisation

Single glazing

Coal fires.. Getting the coal in after the delivery truck dumped a ton of it on the causeway outside your gate. Putting the fireguard around the fireplace and letting newspaper get sucked onto it to 'draw the fire'.

Kitchens with adjoining larders.. and there'd probably be a noisy fridge circa 1930 still running in there.

Some cars with carburettors proving difficult to start in cold weather and all the implications of that.. E.g. being asked to help various people get their car started in the works car park so they could drive home after work. Self developed Intricate starting procedures such as 'Pull the choke all the way, give it 2 pumps to the floor on the accelerator, keep accelerator pressed an inch while cranking, as soon as it fires push choke in to 3/4 on.... Oh no you've flooded it lol'.

Last edited:
Mum sending me to the Post Office for a 5p pick n mix bag.
Mum sending me to the local shop for a packet of fags. Then sending me back with a letter after they refused to sell to me.
Chocolate cigarettes
Mum giving me the third degree after one of her friends told her I had been seen "smoking" a candy cigarette.

Back