I fitted a switch to turn off the step light, should stop some battery drain but as I understand it the bus would still think the door is open so the BCM would still take power, can better minds than mine step in if this is correct. Here is how I did it.
1 - Disconnect battery, better to be safe
2. - Remove rear side panel, probably only worth fitting switch if doing other work like door cables, like me.
3 - Take out door switch with a stubby screwdriver and remove connector, you may get connector off without but I found this easier.
4 - Cut one wire (I chose the yellow one but the switch just connects both on contact when door is open)
5- Solder both cut ends to new lengths of wire and connect to a 2 pin plug - see pic number 1.
6 - tape or use shrinksleeve to cover bare wires and poke new connector through to large hole in pillar, and re-fit door switch. See pic number 2.
7- Solder and shrink sleeve switch with corresponding connector on other end of wires.
7- Using step drill, drill a hole in plastic side cover, I did mine 70mm directly up from the seat belt hole center, this puts the switch behind the seat belt, hits the large hole in the pillar and misses any ribs in the plastic cover. Put tape on the step drill to the size you need ,I used 20mm (see pic 3) if you go too far you will need a bigger switch, No I didn't need a bigger one.
8- Put switch in hole and couple up and put cover back on, See pic 4 of finished switch.
Now with the door open the light can be turned off and the switch is in a easy place to reach from outside. This was the nearside panel, looking at LeStempy's post earlier (34915) with the little bit of wiring he has done

there is a corresponding hole in the offside pillar.


