• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Just driven mine back home from Ullswater towing the boat.

On Friday I was spotted by @Reverend RobP picking the boat up from the river at Acaster Malbis near York towing it home.

Yesterday (Saturday) we used the Elgrand to tow the boat up to Ullswater and launch it on the lake. Didn't get to use the boat after launching, had to put the tent up then have fish n chips and by that time it was getting a bit late so we had a drive over Kirkstone Pass between Ullswater and Windermere, then over the appropriately named 'The Struggle'. Spotted a 57 plate Elgrand camper parked up in a layby on 'The Struggle'. Stopped at Glenridding for a while, went for a walk and had an ice cream. Went to bed in the tent at 1030, it was 4degC but we had plenty bedding so it wasn't cold in bed lol.

Up early this morning, McDonalds breakfast , took the tent down then straight on the boat. It was cold and windy, wished we'd gone on the boat on Saturday when we first arrived and the weather was better instead of putting the tent up first and banking on going on the boat today. Did one lap of the lake then straight back to the slipway and used the Elgrand to pull the boat out of the lake, not much point in boating for the sake of it but we still enjoyed it despite the poor weather. Towed the boat home, the boat engine was still warm when we got home.
 
Last edited:
IMG-20250504-WA0031.jpg

Last time I drove a boat on Ullswater it was over 40 years ago and my dad's boat. He used to let me drive it all the time and I always drove when he waterski'd.

10Mph speed limit everywhere on all the lakes now and I did abide today with the warning words from the marina still ringing in my ears... But some slightly smaller boats were giving it some stick around the middle area of the lake and I kind of wish now I had given it a little stick. I get the impression they turn a blind eye if you're doing it in an area away from others.

Still enjoyed a few waves by intentionally driving over the wake from the steam boats. Turns out my son enjoys the waves, so hopefully he'll enjoy it on the sea... and where there are no speed limits :)
 
Last edited:
View attachment 114108

Last time I drove a boat on Ullswater it was over 40 years ago and my dad's boat. He used to let me drive it all the time and I always drove when he waterski'd.

10Mph speed limit everywhere on all the lakes now and I did abide today with the warning words from the marina still ringing in my ears... But some slightly smaller boats were giving it some stick around the middle area of the lake and I kind of wish now I had given it a little stick. I get the impression they turn a blind eye if you're doing it in an area away from others but there's a bit of a difference between giving a little 14ft x 6ft boat with a 60hp outboard on the back some stick and giving something a bit bigger at 21ft x 8ft with a 200hp V8 inboard some stick.. It's all about knowing too conspicuous to turn a blind eye to but I'll need a bit more recent experience on the lakes to know that so maybe next time (and if I see other similar sized boats giving it some stick).

Still enjoyed a few waves by intentionally driving over the wake from the steam boats. Turns out my son enjoys the waves, so hopefully he'll enjoy it on the sea... and where there are no speed limits :)
 
I swapped the crappy fog light switch over.

gH7hU83m.jpg
to this
IXNyfBUm.jpg


Lidl have some car related items in this week so stocked up on a few bottles of shampoo and snow foam at £3 /ltr.
I haven't used it but is is meant to be OK from the reviews.

They also has this little set for £7 which is well worth it for all your trim removal needs.

RIAmap6.jpg


Also swapped to some better sized plates.

gWRRxlZm.jpg
TQu9Q3hm.jpg
 
Last edited:
Feeling a bit pleased with myself today. In the last year of ownership my S1 with 130k mostly recorded in miles it seems developed an annoying buzz/rattle at certain revs. Normally from pulling away to around 2k. It usually got less as it warmed up. Then it would only buzz for a second if you gunned it.

I've had this before on an old Celica GT4. Then it was a heat shield under a flexy section. The answer to that was rip it off. Problem solved.

Now I don't have a ramp, stands, a pit or even a jack. So I couldn't get underneath. Cue the trusty wooden broom handle.

Poking and tapping around the shielding I found a rear screw mount corroded though at the inside back of the upper pipe shielding between the front and rear drivers side cats. Also, the shield on top the passenger side rear cat had both mounts on the outside rotted free too.

Now as I had no means of getting under and no clamps or even a bare wire coat hanger to use as lock wire couldn't clamp either back in place.

So I had an idea. If I couldn't clamp them back solid, can I bend them slightly clear so they can't hit as it vibrate.

Now I'm guessing this is temporary as it will probably shrink back with heating and cooling but it has worked for now. Took it out for a couple of miles run, got the coolant up to temperature drove it gently, gunned it, drove it steady. So far just a much cleaner less buzzy engine/exhaust sound.

Yeah for me and the bodge of the day. 😁
 
Checked the oil level from the oil change yesterday, just had to add a fraction more.
Also changed out the air filter for my reoiled one, this is a pic of the old one not bad considering its done probably 80k!

IMG_4568.jpgIMG_4569.jpg
 
Checked the oil level from the oil change yesterday, just had to add a fraction more.
Also changed out the air filter for my reoiled one, this is a pic of the old one not bad considering its done probably 80k!

View attachment 114159View attachment 114160
K&n’s are good for a lot longer (said to be lifetime) as long as they get oiled/cleaned at least every 50k or so
 
Well, not the fuse or horn relay🤔.
The horn isn't working when pressing on the wheel, but working when locking/unlocking the car.
Some of you mentioned on a previous post that the problem might be a clock spring issue.....
I am just wondering if I can do this myself?
Fairly easy to remove the airbag for an inspection. Pull the fuse first though.
 
I made a start on polishing the wheels which seemed to have suffered from what looked to be car wash brushes.
I have a little Batoca S4 cordless polisher which is the perfect size for these wheels.

MH6xyfXm.jpg
 
Not really sure where to post this, it is what I have done to the bus but it may want to be in "mods", anyhow, I have converted my back seats to become quickly detachable, well quickish.
I drilled holes in the side plastic covers to get to the pivot bolts at the front and rear of the seats, the holes are covered with rubber blanking plugs when the seats are fitted, the plugs are removed and the two bolts are removed and the seat lifted out, total time to remove one seat, 2 minutes, this leaves the top slider and seat belt mounting still attached. I used a dremel with a tile cutter bit (I find these great for plastic cutting) to start the hole and conical drill bit to get to the size i needed, 26mm for the blanking plugs I used, this allows the long socket to fit through the plastic cover and undo the bolts. I removed the rear plastic trim but did the cutting on the front one while attached because I didn't want to remove the seat handle. Pictures as follows
Number 1 -Cover with bolt underneath
Number 2 -Cover removed with hole drilled in cover
Number 3 - Cover with blanking plug fitted
Number 4 - Blanking plug and conical drill
Number 5 - Seat fitted showing rear cover and blanking plug
Number 6 - What's left after seat removed

I hope this makes sense, the inner side panel is not on as I have another job to do.
20250503_095923.jpg20250503_100011.jpg20250503_095959.jpg

20250503_100154.jpg20250503_184548.jpg20250503_183551.jpg
 
Back
Top