• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What to look out for when buying a Elgrand in UK?

pandaxiong

Active Newbie
London
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
London
Hi all,
I would greatly appreciate any advice and what to look out for when buying one? As mentioned, I intending to get one soon.
And in addition, as I am new to UK, do I buy insurance first then the car, or after paying to the direct owner and then sit in the car and get insurance online?

Thanks in advance. :)

Look for insurance quotes first and have one set up so that you can just finalise payment when the vehicle is purchased.

Before even looking at a vehicle, go on the government MOT check site and search the registration number. This will give you a basic history of its MOT history and it's passes and fails.

Things to look for when buying
Service History
Mileage
Undersealed
Cat removal
Any insurance category damage
Rust underneath
Working AC and heater
Smooth gearbox
Engine sounds
All tech/gadgets work

Check the fluids/oil. If engine oil is very black, it's not been looked after as these cars need regular changes.

Check transmission fluid dipstick. Should be clear with a red tinge. If it smells kind of like burnt plastic, it is overdue a change.

Open the radiator cap and make sure you can see it full of coolant and it's a clear colour (not cloudy)

Finally on a test drive
Does it drive, stop and change gear ok? No funny noises. Temperature gauge stays around halfway. No suspension knocks over bumps etc. Steering feels solid and doesn't shake/vibrate.

Look for insurance quotes first and have one set up so that you can just finalise payment when the vehicle is purchased.

Before even looking at a vehicle, go on the government MOT check site and search the registration number. This will give you a basic history of its MOT history and it's passes and fails.

Things to look for when buying
Service History
Mileage
Undersealed
Cat removal
Any insurance category damage
Rust underneath
Working AC and heater
Smooth gearbox
Engine sounds
All tech/gadgets work

Check the fluids/oil. If engine oil is very black, it's not been looked after as these cars need regular changes.

Check transmission fluid dipstick. Should be clear with a red tinge. If it smells kind of like burnt plastic, it is overdue a change.

Open the radiator cap and make sure you can see it full of coolant and it's a clear colour (not cloudy)

Finally on a test drive
Does it drive, stop and change gear ok? No funny noises. Temperature gauge stays around halfway. No suspension knocks over bumps etc. Steering feels solid and doesn't shake/vibrate.
Thanks alot! very concised information!
Btw, what milage should I be looking at? I saw 1 ard 110k mils, direct owner. here is the link,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404289145468

what do you think? comments?

Thanks in advance to take up your time! appreciate it! :)

Thanks alot! very concised information!
Btw, what milage should I be looking at? I saw 1 ard 110k mils, direct owner. here is the link,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404289145468

what do you think? comments?

Thanks in advance to take up your time! appreciate it! :)
Being a Nismo it will have a higher price tag. 110k miles is not high, but you might find something with lower in the same price bracket. Also, it has a very short MOT. I would want a new one on it for that money (and any advisories addressed). Are you particularly looking for an E51? Plenty of E51'S on the market for extremely good prices. Seems to be that everyone has decided to sell at the same time. As @Michael6457 said, E52 gearboxes (well....Nissan CVT in general) is renowned for having their issues. Unlike conventional Auto transmissions, these need to be properly maintained.

Thanks all for the inputs. So as you all mentioned conventional gearbox AT, you mean something like E51.. like this one shown in this link?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403288079433

I also do have my reserve for CVT..

As for the fuel consumption, I already set my mind that it will not be good, but its a big practical family car which offset that cons.

Back