• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

I bet you do.
I'd add appreciation and respect, too. Not the mobile 'drivers' of course, I mean, who wants those on the road, but mikey.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bal
Nothing to do with Elgraman….but.

Back in the day when I worked a Fords/Jaguar/Landrover/Tata or whatever the dump is called now.

I worked with a guy who was a Special Constable - he had made more than one application to become a Police officer but failed….it made him a sad a bitter individual.

He would spend his dinner hour walking around the employees car parks noting down registration plates of cars with out of date tax discs.

Then he would report them when he was on duty.

He was a loner and was disliked were ever he went, but he seems to enjoy being shunned, if he could drop you in it, he would with no hesitation.

He would also take any opportunity to hang about with management - running errands, buying newspapers, offering match ticket to the upper management team through his Policework at Anfield , you know the type.

He was sacked or discharged as they call it from the Police as he was found
Using the Police computer for reasons other than it was intended for.

If he is still alive - I would think he would revel in taking pictures of people on their mobile phones and reporting it because that was the type of guy he was, he would wholeheartedly believe he was doing a meaningful service.

Me….I think these jobs should be left to the professionals who are trained and paid to do it.
 
If he is still alive - I would think he would revel in taking pictures of people on their mobile phones and reporting it because that was the type of guy he was, he would wholeheartedly believe he was doing a meaningful service.


He might revel in seeing people off the road who break the law and could kill people. He might be the type of guy who don't want people killing people, nor breaking the law. Makes you wonder what his opinion would have been of the, uh, 'mother' y'day on her phone at the wheel of a car with a baby and toddlers in there too.
Me….I think these jobs should be left to the professionals who are trained and paid to do it.

Agreed. Another question might be where are they; a significant reason why people do it. And remember too that the professionals themselves have created apps and websites to enable citizens to report/upload such practices, hence maybe the professionals want help after all....
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Bal
Another question might be where are they; a significant reason why people do it. And remember too that the professionals themselves have created apps and websites to enable citizens to report/upload such practices, hence maybe the professionals want help after all....

I wonder if police already know people are likely to glance at phone screens at traffic lights but think it more important to catch people using phones whilst actually driving, hence don't post plain clothes officers besides traffic lights.

Of course if some member of the public provides evidence that someone is illegally using a phone whilst in control of a vehicle they have to act on it. But also wonder if they think people grabbing the attention of drivers stuck at traffic lights more dangerous than people glancing at phones... Or is it OK for a driver stuck at lights to have a chat with a pedestrian (would the driver then be paying attention to the road) whilst not OK for a quick glance at a phone screen. If you were driving a car at the time of issuing verbal bollockings to other drivers I wonder if that could be considered road rage. Obviously you're less likely to be driving and more likely to be a pedestrian if you've recently had a crash in your own car.

Don't get me wrong... I don't think someone who gets engrossed in their phone and doesn't stay aware of the road situation is safe even at traffic lights but there is a difference between a glance and engrossed and it seems unlikely all the people you have a grievance against for looking at phones when stuck at lights would be engrossed. Some of the same safety concerns could apply to eating a sandwich, scotch egg, etc, opening a can of pop, all of which are legal to do as long as the driver stays in full control of the vehicle and the road but all of which could be unsafe in some situations. The thing is being stuck (for probably a known duration) at a red light is going to be one of the least likely situations to be unsafe.

I was once driving through Doncaster centre late night, clubs were turning out, loads of drunken people on the streets, you know the scene. A fight broke out between some lads and one lad was taking a bit of a beating. I stopped the car and reached for the door handle to get out, paused for a moment thinking 'technically if I intervene I could be suspected / done for road rage'. Only paused for a moment then I got out and intervened, thinking 'what the hell, right thing to do'. That's the thing about laws, they're there to prevent something bad happening, there didn't need to be a specific road rage law because its always been illegal to start a punch up etc. I could morally hold my head high even if on that occasion what I did could have been considered technically illegal. People who glance at phone screens when stuck in traffic in a jam are breaking the law but not necessarily risking any problem to anyone.
 
Last edited:
but there is a difference between a glance and engrossed
Unfortunately the law don't agree with you.

Wouldn't say the colourful language of 'grievance' is true too, again, it's that pesky thing called the law. See how many 'quick glances' get 6 points and £200 fine (and hence increased insurance premiums) when people send in the evidence. 'Don't worry mate, it was only a quick glance, we'll let you off' don't see to be the verdict given.
 
Unfortunately the law don't agree with you.

Wouldn't say the colourful language of 'grievance' is true too, again, it's that pesky thing called the law. See how many 'quick glances' get 6 points and £200 fine (and hence increased insurance premiums) when people send in the evidence. 'Don't worry mate, it was only a quick glance, we'll let you off' don't see to be the verdict given.
Until relatively recently there was a law that all males over 12 years old had to do an hour's archery practice every day.

Englishmen in York were encouraged to kill a Scotsman found wondering the streets of the city after midnight.

Both laws that were still applicable many years after the reason for the existence came to an end. You would have to be a nutter to report someone for not doing archery practice, or a psycho to kill someone after 'reason for existence' but at least you'd technically have had the law on your side (but not practically as I'm sure you'd soon find out).

You're giving the impression you think you must always be right to call people out who do something to technically break a black/white law... But I thought you started this because you had safety concerns, the same concerns the law is there to enforce.

It's illegal to pee outside in public, and for good (decency) reasons, but no-one appreciates someone who follows people around walking over the moors just so they can catch them with their pants down and report them.
 
Last edited:

Until relatively recently there was a law that all males over 12 years old had to do an hour's archery practice every day.

And the law got changed.
Englishmen in York were encouraged to kill a Scotsman found wondering the streets of the city after midnight.
And the law got changed

You're giving the impression you think you must always be right to call people out who do something to technically break a black/white law...
Which of course is based upon personal opinion, which of course you're entitled to.
 
Devils advocate here but are you prepared to pay (we pay after all) for the police on every set of lights to enforce every time. I personally think that with everything going on the roads these days using a phone whilst in a car sat at lights is very low on what I would be prioritising.
 
Devils advocate here but are you prepared to pay (we pay after all) for the police on every set of lights to enforce every time. I personally think that with everything going on the roads these days using a phone whilst in a car sat at lights is very low on what I would be prioritising.
Yes there isn't enough police to do everything, hence why 'drivers' do it so often. Not sure if as the future goes on, if cameras will do the job, but again, they're hardly going to build millions of them. Hence maybe why the police have made good apps and website upload systems to enable citizens to help them out and hopefully get more of the mobile 'drivers' who break the law, off the road, or at the least, penalised.
 
Last edited:
Englishmen in York were encouraged to kill a Scotsman found wondering the streets of the city after midnight.
Several plus years ago I was on a mid week pub crawl in Chester city centre where I learnt that there's a similar law regarding Welshmen after dark. Even more interesting is that I met a landlord who was a fellow Doctor Who fan.
 
Several plus years ago I was on a mid week pub crawl in Chester city centre where I learnt that there's a similar law regarding Welshmen after dark. Even more interesting is that I met a landlord who was a fellow Doctor Who fan.
In Rotherham you don’t have to be Welsh or Scottish, just to have an accent is enough
 
And the law got changed.

My great uncle used to occasionally tell me I'd broken the law by not practicing longbow, I just Googled it, turns out he was wrong because that law was scrapped in 1960 well before I was born... but the Scotsman in York law is still in place or at least was as recently as 2007. Still it would be crazy to report someone for not practicing longbow in 1959, or to kill a Scotsman wondering around York after dark in 2006 lol. The same article came up with a few more crazy laws, the only one I might have heard of being it is illegal to eat a mince pie on Christmas Day. Another strange one is it is legal for women to go topless in Liverpool, provided they work as a clerk in a tropical fish shop.
 
My great uncle used to occasionally tell me I'd broken the law by not practicing longbow, I just Googled it, turns out he was wrong because that law was scrapped in 1960 well before I was born... but the Scotsman in York law is still in place or at least was as recently as 2007. Still it would be crazy to report someone for not practicing longbow in 1959, or to kill a Scotsman wondering around York after dark in 2006 lol. The same article came up with a few more crazy laws, the only one I might have heard of being it is illegal to eat a mince pie on Christmas Day. Another strange one is it is legal for women to go topless in Liverpool, provided they work as a clerk in a tropical fish shop.
That’s true and I spend a lot of time in Tropical Fish shops for that very reason.
 
Talking of runaway diesels.....😬

I was about 40 miles from home when i stopped for fuel in my Delica, I turned off the ignition and the engine carried on running.

I had the keys in my hand whilst looking under the bonnet feeling slightly bemused.🙃

I thought of many options including some stupid ones, like reversing it up to a wall and stalling it....an automatic. 😆

Any who i decided to drive it home and if it ran out of fuel i wouldn't have to force stop the engine.💡

I got home and it was still running.....

I got a 10 mm spanner and took the bleed valve bolt out of the fuel filter primer housing and eventually the engine spluttered to a stop through fuel starvation and sucking air into the pump.

The reason it did this in the first place was a failed fuel stop solenoid on the diesel pump, the rubber stopper on the end of the solenoid had disintegrated leaving the pump feed hole permanently open.

This was a very strange feeling having your van running whilst you have the keys in your hand and no obvious way of turning it off.🫣


This was the culprit----

View attachment 109152
I'm glad you managed to sort it out Peter.
 
My great uncle used to occasionally tell me I'd broken the law by not practicing longbow, I just Googled it, turns out he was wrong because that law was scrapped in 1960 well before I was born... but the Scotsman in York law is still in place or at least was as recently as 2007. Still it would be crazy to report someone for not practicing longbow in 1959, or to kill a Scotsman wondering around York after dark in 2006 lol. The same article came up with a few more crazy laws, the only one I might have heard of being it is illegal to eat a mince pie on Christmas Day. Another strange one is it is legal for women to go topless in Liverpool, provided they work as a clerk in a tropical fish shop.
Another one is holding a mobile phone when at the wheel of a car in traffic. That one gets 6 points and a £200 fine.
 
My cousin recalled to me an experience he had on holiday. I don't remember which country he was visiting but it was during a coach trip and he said he couldn't believe his eyes when they passed a lorry in which the driver was steering with his feet whilst masturbating to what must have been a porn movie on his phone. Probably won't see that at traffic lights though.
 
Back
Top