• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Insurance on Elgrand E51 under 30 years old

Kudus95

Midlands
Reaction score
First Name
Sakib
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
Midlands
Hello all as the title suggests I am thinking of picking up an E51 but as I am doing more research I have come across the word 'expensive' A LOT. I honestly don't mind as its a lot of car and I am happy to pay for maintenance and fuel. The one thing I don't like paying a lot for is insurance. My problem is that I have 0 years no claims (years of company cars and named driver on policies). Is there much difference in insurance for the 2.5 and 3.5L engine.

Just to give some background my current car (2.8L saloon) is under my older brothers name (so I'm named driver on the policy) and my first year cost 2k, which hurt but I didn't mind paying. The insurance magically dropped to 700 in the second year. The difference with the Elgrand is that I would ideally like to have it under my name, but accept that might not be the best decision financially.

I wanted to get some opinions from members if they have come across anyone else in the same boat as me?

Think easiest bet is to start on the comparison sites to see what comes back, they won't be a million miles away, sometimes then cheaper to go direct but from my own experience not always. Can you try the current insurer first?

I don't think there's any real difference in the 2.5 & 3.5 regards insurance, in fact when I first got my 2.5lt there was only a 3.5 option online when using the drop down bar so I phoned the insurance company and guess what?
They charged me an extra £70 for having a smaller engine.

If I were you I'd look at Elgrands forsale online, both 2.5 & 3.5 and put the reg numbers into a comparison website and then you'll know for definite.
An issue I've had is my last 2 insurance companies have said they aren't able to quote as the underwriters won't cover my vehicle but I managed to get cover with Churchill.

You could go large on the voluntary excesses.

Adding a second (experienced) named driver can give a saving even if they are actually unlikely to drive it.

I used to recommend quotezone price comparison (I ended up with Lloyds Bank insurance) but they were £100 more expensive (and kept sending loads of emails) than moneysupermarket this time round (Churchill) who also have a cash bonus/rewards scheme.

Thanks for all the feedback. I had a little play around with a 2008 Elgrand 3.5L and the cheapest quote from Moneysupermarket was £2.8k with Admiral! A couple of points that helped were keeping the car on the drive (I have a garage but this increased the price by £500) and increasing the excess to the max (£1k). For some reason, the 2nd driver didn't help me and increased the price o_O

At least now I have a better idea of what to expect when I take the plunge.

my current car (2.8L saloon) is under my older brothers name
It's false economy to insure your car in someone else's name just to get a cheaper price. That's called "fronting" and is illegal!
If you're the main driver you should always insure it in your own name otherwise you could find insurers declaring the policy void and refusing to pay a claim. It could also lead to prosecution and will make it even more difficult and expensive to insure.
Comparison sites do vary so don't limit yourself to just one and also remember some insurers don't appear on comparison sites so you'll need to shop around.
Good luck!

Last edited:
£2.8k FECK!!!!!!! it pays to be old and with max no claims :D
In1984 is I think I paid £300 for 3 months insurance for a 4.2 Jag, I had 1yrs no claims from my 850cc mini 😂 2.8k is a bargain.

Don't just stick to one comparison site, go compare were over £100. Cheaper than money supermarket

Hello all as the title suggests I am thinking of picking up an E51 but as I am doing more research I have come across the word 'expensive' A LOT. I honestly don't mind as its a lot of car and I am happy to pay for maintenance and fuel. The one thing I don't like paying a lot for is insurance. My problem is that I have 0 years no claims (years of company cars and named driver on policies). Is there much difference in insurance for the 2.5 and 3.5L engine.

Just to give some background my current car (2.8L saloon) is under my older brothers name (so I'm named driver on the policy) and my first year cost 2k, which hurt but I didn't mind paying. The insurance magically dropped to 700 in the second year. The difference with the Elgrand is that I would ideally like to have it under my name, but accept that might not be the best decision financially.

I wanted to get some opinions from members if they have come across anyone else in the same boat as me?
£2k and you didn’t mind paying. Can I join whatever company you work for? Good luck, even my insurance (46, 9 years NCB) was over £1000 last year. Many do better and I hope you find the Elgrand for you!

Back