• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Thule 973 bike rack - how to make custom brackets for E51 Highway Star (for £14)

manikm303

London
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Malcolm
Elgrand
E51
Region
London
So today after lots of thinking, i made some brackets for my Elgrand so i can finally fit my bike rack.

Heres how:

I bought these from Amazon

I cut off the longer piece, leaving enough "hook" for it to latch onto the internal boot "lip" (about 1.5cm)

I then heated (not sure it was needed) and then bent (using a club hammer with bracket on concrete floor) the inner piece to match the angle of the HWS boot trim.

I then took it to vehicle, slid the piece together loosely, then tightened it together (back to back) using supplied screws .

I then hung my rack (19.5 holes visible from top)

With bracket and rack on car, I then used my eyes and judgment only to mark on the bracket where the bolt needs to go through the bottom of the rack itself and then the bracket.

I then drilled the hole, and put an 80mm M8 bolt through - and used a locking nut to lock it all together.

When doing up the locking note, this ultimately pulls the rack and the bracket together as one when tightened (do not over tighten!!)

Job done!

Pics here:

Hope this helps some people.

(bottom nut, has since been replaced with a nylon locking nut)

Last edited:
once all fitted and tightened up - you might notice a lot of extra thread protruding from the bolts used, which could hit your lower external trim when you shut the boot - so will need lopping off or it will scrape the bumper...angle grinder or hacksaw.

Back